1 lb Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans
1 lb Smoked Sausage
2 Small or 1 Large Home Place Ham Hock
1/2 lb Diced Pickled Pork (Optional)
Chicken Stock Or Water | About 2-3 Quarts
1/4 Cup Olive Oil Or Butter
1 Large Onion, Diced
Hot Sauce, Creole Seasoning, Salt & Pepper To Taste
3 Stalks Celery, Chopped
1 Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced
4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
A Splash Of Worcestershire sauce
Hot White Rice—About 6 Cups
1. Rinse beans. Soak overnight or follow quick soak method instructions.
2. Drain and rinse beans and place beans in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Cover with water or chicken stock. Be careful not to add too much liquid or beans will be too soupy. Cover by about an inch.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat until beans are at a simmer. Add a splash of Worcestershire Sauce.
4. Brown sausage over medium heat in a large skillet and remove. Reserve drippings for vegetables. Add the browned sausage to beans along with the ham hocks and pickled pork.
5. Sauté onions, celery and bell pepper until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add vegetables to beans and meat, along with bay leaf and thyme.
6. Add water or stock if needed to cover the contents of the pot by about an inch. Continue to simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 - 3 hours, stirring regularly to prevent scorching. Add more liquid as needed during cooking time. Test beans regularly for tenderness.
7. Periodically check ham hocks. When they start to get tender and before falling apart, remove from pot. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from hocks and add back into the pot. Discard bones, fat, and cartilage.
8. When beans are soft, remove a few cups of beans and mash with a fork and return to pot, and stir. If you prefer creamier beans, mash a few more for desired creaminess.
9. Add hot sauce, and creole seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Add chopped parsley and a handful of fresh chopped green onion. Stir.
Serve over hot white rice and buttered, toasted French bread. Garnish with more chopped parsley and green onion if desired.