The Gray Canary is part of the EnjoyAM Group. We opened in 2018 focusing on fresh seafood, oysters, and of course fire! At the Gray Canary, we are all about the fire, and the hearth is a critical part of our restaurant. Working with the hearth is a wonderful way to connect with food using direct heat and embers. Enjoy this lovely steak and summery tomato salad!
-Spencer Coplan, Chef de Cuisine The Gray Canary
1 Home Place Pastures chuck eye steak
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
2 tbs grenache or any good vinegar
4 tbs good olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pull your steak out of the refrigerator and let it come up to room temperature, about one hour.
- While waiting for the steak to temper, get your grill hot.
- Open up the steak package and season your steak liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steak on both sides until GBD (golden brown and delicious)
- While the steak is cooking on the second side throw in a knob of butter and a few cloves of crushed garlic on top of the steak. This allows the flavor to soak in while you're cooking.
- Cover the steak with the garlic butter until it is at your desired temp. We go for medium-rare at the restaurant.
- When the steak is finished, place it on a wire rack over a sheet tray to rest.
- While the steak is resting, in a small bowl, slice your shallots, add the vinegar and tomatoes and let it marinate for a few minutes.
- Add the olive oil and parsley, season the salsa verde to taste.
- Slice the steak against the grain, and put on a dinner plate.
- Top the steak with the salsa verde/tomato mixture and season with fresh cracked pepper and flaky salt. Serve immediately!