Regenerative Agriculture Farm Apprentice APPLY NOW
HOME PLACE PASTURES
1789 HOME PLACE RD
COMO, MS 38619
(662) 426- 6223
Home Place Pastures has an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in hands-on experience with regenerative agriculture. We’re offering farm apprenticeships year round with a 6 month commitment! Applicants need to be detail oriented, have strong collaborative & communication skills, both verbal and written, and be fit and healthy enough to perform labor intensive tasks outdoors in the summer heat. You must be able to adapt to unfamiliar work environments, be productive with limited supervision, manage multiple priorities, and be a team player.
HP is looking for up to 2 apprentices at a time to live and work on the farm for 6 months. The start and end dates are flexible, but we ask for six full months commitment. HPP will provide apprentices on-farm accommodations, some meals and meat/ groceries from our farm store, and a living stipend of $750/ month. We are excited to offer this opportunity to qualified candidates, and we are confident that this apprenticeship will provide a well-rounded agricultural business experience that will be an asset in any future career. Apprenticeships may also result in full time employment opportunities.
- Start and end times flexible, available year round, 6 month commitment
- Hours: Mon- Fri 7am to 4pm. One hour lunch break from 12 to 1 each day. Occasional weekend shift may be requested. If agreed, the apprentice will get the following Monday off.
Scope of Skills to Learn
- Moving herds of cattle, hogs, and chickens using eclectic fencing
- Herd and forage management
- Checking feed and water systems
- Gathering and washing eggs
- Assisting with daily feeding and fence checking chores
- Assisting farm staff with infrastructure improvement and repair projects
Basic Qualifications: (required)
- Applicants must be 18 years or older, with preference given to those 21 or older
- Proven track record of responsibility from previous work experiences
- Ability to work and live in a community setting- i.e. responsible, cooperative, and considerate behavior.
Preferred Qualifications: (not required)
- Interest in agriculture as a career path
- Passion for land stewardship, humane animal husbandry, food
Home Place Pastures History:
The Bartletts have farmed the Home Place east of Como dating back to 1871. The next generation is transitioning their family farm into a regenerative operation that produces food for the southeast region. HPP’s mission is to enhance their farmland by practicing regenerative agriculture, practice the highest standards of animal welfare, and create jobs and opportunities in their rural economy.
For our farm interns and apprentices, we provide a charming cottage on the farm called “Cypress Place”. This house has central heat and air, a working fireplace, a front porch and patio. It is 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and has a full kitchen and internet access. The house is a short walk to our Farm Store, USDA processing facility, and farm headquarters.
We are a passionate, innovative, and growing company. We value energy, creativity, and a willingness to learn. For the apprenticeship, we also value cooperation and community living skills. We operate an on-farm butcher shop and restaurant that is open Thursday through Sunday, and there is a “glamp” site and several lakes available for paddling and fishing. The farm is 45 minutes from Memphis, Tn and 30 minutes from Oxford, MS (home of University of Mississippi) and 8 miles from Sardis Lake. The farm is 1800 acres and provides lots of opportunities for outdoor activities. Apprentices will need their own transportation to and from the farm.
Pets will be considered on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate families with children at this time. Couples are welcome to apply together.
Please email Marshall@homeplacepastures.com each of the following:
2) Brief (no more than 250 words) introduction/ description of yourself. Include any hobbies, experiences, passions, or interests that you feel would help us to gain an understanding of who you are and what you are about.
3) Brief (no more than 250 words) description of what you have to offer and what you hope to gain from this experience. Essentially, why having you as an apprentice will be good for us, and good for you.
Qualified candidates will be invited to interview, after which we will make our final selections. Thank you for your interest in Home Place Pastures!
Facebook: Home Place Pastures