To Apply to any position:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Marshall@homeplacepastures.com.
Qualified applicants will be invited for an in-person interview.
Home Place Pastures is committed to raising healthy livestock, building biodiversity and nutrients in our soils, and revitalizing the local rural economy. We are offering the unique opportunity to become part of our diverse, hard-working, and rapidly growing team here in Como, MS. This position is fast-paced and can be physically demanding at times. It is mandatory that any applicant considered for this position have reliable transportation, consistent attendance, and an eagerness to learn.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
Home Place Pastures Internship Program
Home Place Pastures has an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in hands on experience with sustainable agriculture. We’re offering farm internships this May, June and July! Applicants need to be detail oriented, have strong collaborative & communication skills, both verbal and written, and be fit and healthy enough to perform labor intensive tasks outdoors in the summer heat. You must be able to adapt to unfamiliar work environments, be productive with limited supervision, manage multiple priorities, and be a team player.
- Eight week commitment between May and August. Start times and end times flexible.
- Hours: Mon- Fri 8am to 5pm. One hour lunch break from 12 to 1 each day.
- Home Place Pastures is a vertically integrated business. As such our interns work on two week rotations focusing on the following areas of the business: animal husbandry, processing and value added production, and agritourism.
- Area of focus: For the final two weeks of the program, each intern will choose a small project in one of the above focus areas and complete it. Projects can be hands-on, research related, or something Home Place can build upon later. This is your chance to dig a little deeper into something you’re interested in and leave the farm better than you found it.
Basic Qualifications: (required)
- Applicants must be 18 years or older, with preference given to those 21 or older
- Proven track record of responsibility from previous work experiences
- Ability to work and live in a community setting- i.e. responsible, cooperative, and considerate behavior.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Preferred Qualifications: (not required)
- Experience in agriculture work, animal science, or marketing is a plus
- Interest in ag business, or in farming as a career path
- Diversified skill set- from accounting to butchering to mechanics to marketing , we do it all.
Home Place Pastures History:
Marshall and Jemison Bartlett founded Home Place Pastures in January, 2014. Their father has raised row crops, mostly cotton, and cattle on the Home Place for 50 years, and before him the family farmed the same 1800 acres dating back to 1871. Now, Marshall and Jemison are transitioning their family farm into a sustainable operation that produces food for the southeast region. By doing so, they hope to sustain an economically viable business on the farm and become part of the creativity economy of their culturally rich region.
HP is looking for up to three interns who will live and work on the farm for two months between May and September. The start and end dates are flexible, but we ask for two full months commitment (June and July, July and August, etc). HP will provide the summer interns with private, on-farm housing accommodations and a living stipend of $600/ month, and some meals. We are excited to offer this opportunity to qualified candidates, and we are confident that this internship will provide a well-rounded agricultural business experience that will be an asset in any future career.
We are an energetic, innovative, and growing company. We value energy, creativity, and flexibility. We also emphasize fun and laid back enjoyment of the farm with hard work and an intense dedication to what we do. We favor applicants who can demonstrate an ability to balance these values.
Please email Marshall@homeplacepastures.com each of the following:
2) Brief (no more than 250 words) introduction/ description of yourself. Include any hobbies, experiences, passions, or interests that you feel would help us to gain an understanding of who you are and what you are about.
3) Brief (no more than 250 words) description of what you have to offer and what you hope to gain from this experience. Essentially, why having you as an intern will be good for us, and good for you.
Qualified candidates will be invited to an interview, after which we will make our final selections. Thank you for your interest in Home Place Pastures!
Facebook: Home Place Pastures